Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Soon I must have a three-way meeting with my two supervisors at work and my LVC supervisor. I know later I will give glowing compliments about the Lutheran Volunteer Corps, but with every strike you bowl, there is a gutter waiting for you.

I just don't know who to answer to. I have my two bosses at Lutherans Concerned/North America, my brand-new position of volunteer here, and I have my LVC boss in the Twin Cities. Now, we're going to sit around and have a "chat", the four of us, with great questions like, "Jason, how do you like working here?" "How do you like having Jason work here?" I guess it's just human tendency to worry about getting a less-than-wonderful comment on your working abilities, but I am just a bit annoyed at the whole triparte of supervisors I have. Am I working for LC/NA, or LVC? Is LVC my advocate, or are they going to team up with my placement to play an unfair game of Spoons? Who do I answer to? I guess I would just rather have a meeting with one set of people who supervise me, or have them meet without me. At least then I could rest in peace, knowing that my performance is getting battered somewhere far away, in a land before time.

So is a blog supposed to be a rant session? Or something to 'update' people, as my friends commented on the previous entry? Well, I just gave you both. BOO-YAH.

Now onto movies. It's 8:30am, and the office is still slow. So, I can go ahead and do things completely not work-related, and have fun doing it.

Brokeback Mountain, http://www.apple.com/trailers/focus_features/brokeback_mountain/.

Here we have a movie bringing up an important issue, one that can't be relegated to Gay Pride Film Festivals forever, especially if this society is ever going to move forward. Two cowboys, in Wyoming and Texas...what could be a better angle than that?? Plus, it's Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger.

Capote, http://www.sonyclassics.com/capote/. (Cool site, too)

Never knew the guy, never heard him speak, never read a book by him. But, dammit, Philip Seymour Hoffman? I rest my case. Maybe the greatest actor of our time (courtesy of John Stewart), and I'm inclined to agree.

Jarhead, http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/jarhead/.

Okay, I'm not "addicted" to Jake Gyllenhaal, but let's just say Donnie Darko was an incredible film. This one, as Karlyn described, looks like a Platoon for our generation.

Too bad two of these films are out already, but none are in the Twin Cities. I thought Minneapolis was all progressive and artsy, people!! Oh, how I love movies. Especially going to see them in a theatre. Sure, it's up to $10 per, but I still pay it. There's something about seeing movies on the big screen...plus, when you pay the money, you have a greater motivation to pay attention to the movie and actually watch it.

That being said, go see The War Within. Not the greatest movie ever, but definitely one that needs to be seen by every American. I kid you not.

I should go back to work now, but I honestly have absolutely nothing to do. Maybe I'll just write another blog, all political and stuff. Till then...

2 Comments:

At 1:52 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

December 9th for Brokeback Mountain...where did you find the short story?

 
At 2:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jason, have you seen Lord of War? OMG, it's a good one. It's another film that all Americans should be seeing as it raises really important questions and stuff.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home