Thursday, October 20, 2005

You know what I love?

Music.

I honestly can't get enough of it. The time when I had temporarily lost my 7+ days of music was one where I routinely contemplated suicide - or at least throwing live animals out of windows. But, honestly, what is better? Music is with us during the good times, during the bad times. How many of us lose ourselves to the tunes playing in the background. Or, needing to get away, we get in our car (car...what car? Oh yes...I used to have one) and just crank the radio.

I want a soundtrack to my life. Sounds horribly cliche, but it's so damn true. I can do very few things without music accompanying me. Some of the best times in my life are easily remembered because of the music that I recall was playing at the time. I want music when I sleep, music when I wake, music when I have sex, music when I work. (That last one is probably a little harder to negotiate with my supervisors, but I charge on with Coldplay, Rufus, and Dave.)

So, shoutouts to all of you who crave and appreciate music...all kinds, all flavors. Dave Matthews Band for roadtrips, Coldplay for virtually anything, Tupac for when I'm angry at this society, Beethoven in plane rides, the Love Actually soundtrack when I'm lonely, love-struck, and unashamed.

To Jay, who gave me three packed CDs of Rufus Wainwright. To David, who supplied me with more video game music than I could ever hope to enjoy in five lifetimes. To Karlyn, who has introduced me to more random and wonderful music that I would have never known otherwise. To Luke, who - besides playing his own killer songs - showed me Sufjan. To Jill, who reminded me that some music doesn't even need vocals - the instruments do all we need to understand the meaning sometimes. To Laura, who forgives me for the corny 80s music I still listen to religiously. To PL, who let me know there is good music pre-1981. To Meg, who will always understand my deep and unabashed love for Coldplay.

It's like we are all connected through this universal language. We all share our joys, hopes, fears, and loves with other people when we open our music to them. Might as well be opening our hearts, and giving them the roadmap to our deepest selves. The people who want to sue because of music-sharing step aside - we are building community across these lines we create, and listening to good music the whole way through.

And for those who disagree with me, I want to introduce you some of my music...

1 Comments:

At 1:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Music good. Music very good. Music is my business AND my pleasure. No need to call me SuperLuke, though some have already chosen to call me that, much to my dismay. The whole superhero thing was kind of in irony to begin with...oh well...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home