Saturday, August 09, 2008

Post-Atlanta

So, I just got back from a 4-day conference on Biblical storytelling in Atlanta, walking into the apartment, sitting down at my computer, and having it all sink in at once: I live in Florida, now. Alone. And I’m an intern. Wow.

The storytelling conference – run by the Network of Biblical Storytellers (http://www.nobs.org) - is a fantastic annual gathering, in which 150 or so storytellers descend upon Atlanta, to, basically, hear and tell stories. Mostly Biblical ones. Without notes. By heart. I'm telling the Gospel tomorrow - Jesus walking on the water, from Matthew. I never think of Matthew having good stories, but this one is pretty sweet.

Right, so. I was the emcee for this particular shindig in Atlanta, mostly because I’m under 40, and, therefore, a celebrity. However, more young people are coming every year. But, yeah, I’m kind of their golden boy. I’m okay with this.

Tomorrow I’m getting to the church at 7:15am (is that actually a time? I thought everything before 8am was a blur in the space-time continuum) to go over my assistant minister part. I’m going to dress in a collar, for only the second time in public. I’m going to try not to scream – I don’t think that’d go over too well.

Yeah. That’s it. I’m Vicar Jason now. Watch out, world. Or, at least, watch out, this particular congregation that has me for a year.

2 Comments:

At 6:25 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vicar Jason, welcome to my life - collars and early morning church services! And hopefully the joy of being able lead people in worship, announce the gospel, and see people grow in faith and love
Jim

 
At 9:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I appreciate your reverence Jason. Something missing from my weekly life...a chance to be a bit in awe of God, my surroundings and whatever context i'm in.

Do you think the 'Fear of God' is actually more of a nervous stomach achy sense of being a part of something that you would feel ashamed to ruin? If so....cool.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home