Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Wii Don't Live Here Anymore

As time goes on in my internship, I find my eyes straying more and more to the Wii’s advertised on Pandora.com (which is a phenomenal free radio station that personalizes its music selection – shameless plug, I know) or in the window of the Gamestop next to my apartment.

And why? Because I’m bored here in Florida? Not really. I have plenty to do most days, and even when I don’t, I am usually content lounging around and watching movies.

The reason I haven’t bought one yet is mostly because I am extremely wary of video games. This is not a rip into those who have them – I have many myself, and have appreciated playing them from back in the days of the original Nintendo.

What gets me, however, is the amount of time often spent playing them. Time that could be spent doing any number of things. Nintendo has been trying to get around that, however, by pushing their Wii’s interactive and exercise-oriented gameplay. Don’t worry about getting stuck inside staring at a TV screen, they say – you are getting plenty of exercise playing our games.

I hear that – the Wii is not your typical system – which explains my continued interest in it. But then there’s the whole consumerist thing. In a society that tells us that we need certain items in order to be whole and acceptable human beings, I feel like I’m buying into that if I get a Wii.

I know I don’t need it. But I do find myself wanting it. And, again, this is not an elitist, holier-than-thou rip on those who are Wii-owners. I’m just honestly struggling with this.

Whether or not I get one, I want to take my time and not go into such a purchase lightly. I want to make sure I don’t buy one simply because I’m on internship in a new place, and am basically bored. I want to distinguish between an unhelpful distraction and a healthy, entertaining way to relax.

Any thoughts?

2 Comments:

At 1:52 PM , Blogger Eric Herkert-Oakland said...

If you buy one, -I- will have less respect for you.

Get a girlfriend. Or better yet, get a job.

 
At 12:05 AM , Blogger Pastor Lori said...

I ought not to comment. (Just couldn't resist commenting!)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home