Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Late-Night Theology

I have, once again, entered into a situation where I am confronted with the realities of this world. Only this time, I have begun to deal with it in the context of attending seminary.

Two gentlemen asked for money tonight, one for the bus, the other for some sort of medical treatment. The second man followed us down the street, his plea remaining the same, “Please…please help me.” What do I do? I had some change, which I gave. I had some dollar bills, which I didn’t.

Immersion in a theological framework is the background to my newest foray into the world of the rich and the poor living side-by-side. I must ask myself how my interactions affect me theologically, and what sort of statement they make.

Which leads me to a very simple question: What kind of theological statement am I making when I turn down someone who asks me for money? What does it mean for me to lie about having money, currency that jingles in my pocket as I walk home to the roof over my head? I don’t know.

All I know, besides the fact that I have limited amounts of money during this year of working, entering into graduate study, and paying my bills, is that the person on the street could be Jesus. It’s probably not, but it could be. And that’s all I can think about as I attempt to sleep tonight.


2 Comments:

At 9:19 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some would take Jesus' sayings that the Father makes the rain to fall and the sun to shine on both the good and the evil to mean that we, as Christians, must give, regardless of our opinion on who is worthy. We must be willing to look foolish, to look "duped", even as Jesus looked quite the fool, and often still does. In the same way, giving without a very painful sacrifice is not much of a gift at all...

I lean towards this position- but it is so hard in practice!

 
At 11:54 AM , Blogger david said...

You must be innocent as doves and shrewd as vipers

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home